How retailers can support the EU Ecolabel
Simply stated, supporting the EU Ecolabel is a winning choice for you as a retailer. Not only does it boost your corporate image, it also allows you to fulfil your customers’ increasing demand for truly environmentally sustainable products.
The EU Ecolabel is a trusted and recognisable label across the EU, and guarantees a high level of transparency, reliability and scientific credibility that speaks to the customer’s environmental concerns. By choosing EU Ecolabel products or services, consumers automatically make an environmentally friendly choice.
Retailers also have a key and unique position in the sustainable value chain as they choose which products or services to put on their shelves and online shops. Therefore, a retailer’s choices directly influence both consumers’ and producers’ behaviour.
As a retailer, your business can benefit from privileging EU Ecolabel certified goods and services in your shops or online platforms by:
- Applying for the EU Ecolabel for products under your own brand name(s);
- Increasing the number of EU Ecolabel goods and services available on your shelves and online shops;
- Placing EU Ecolabel products in prominent places in shops or online, so shoppers take notice;
- Encouraging or requesting suppliers to apply for the EU Ecolabel for their products.
What’s more, you can support the further uptake of the EU Ecolabel by:
- Integrating the EU Ecolabel into your communication campaigns and promotions;
- Taking advantage of communication campaigns promoted by the European Commission;
- Informing consumers about the EU Ecolabel;
- Making pledges related to zero pollution through the Sustainable Consumption Pledge and the EU Climate Pact by promoting ‘near-zero waste’ products and services that are proven to be less polluting over their whole life cycle, such as those awarded the EU Ecolabel.
As an E-retailer in particular, you can: