The fifteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD COP 15) will be the biggest biodiversity conference in a decade. Hosted by China, the first stage of CBD COP 15 took place virtually on 11 to 15 October 2021, and the second stage will take place later in 2022 in Kunming.
World leaders are expected to agree on a new post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework. This Framework must allow the world to achieve the 2050 vision of living in harmony with nature, achieving transformative change across our societies and putting nature on a path to recovery by 2030.
The EU is ready to lead efforts and work with like-minded partners to achieve an ambitious global agreement to halt biodiversity loss, as set out in the Biodiversity Strategy for 2030.
The EU will negotiate for the following elements of the framework as a minimum:
- Overarching global goals for biodiversity for 2050 that will aim for all of the world’s ecosystems to be restored, resilient, and adequately protected
- Ambitious global 2030 targets in line with EU commitments in the EU Biodiversity Strategy, such as the protection of at least 30% of land and 30% of the seas globally and sustainable use and management of the remaining 70%.
- A much stronger implementation, monitoring and review process
- An enabling framework to bring the ambition to life, across areas such as finance, capacity, research, innovation and technology
- Fair and equitable sharing of the benefits from the use of genetic resources linked to biodiversity
- A principle of equality, based on an inclusive approach with participation of all stakeholders and indigenous peoples
The Commission is mobilising all tools of external action and international partnerships to help develop this agreement.
In the run-up to the COP 15, the European Commission has formed the Global Coalition United for Biodiversity. The Coalition has already bought together over 250 institutions from more than 50 countries around the world calling for stronger mobilisation in raising awareness about protecting biodiversity.
Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission, has endorsed the Leaders' Pledge for Nature. Through this Pledge, and together with more than 80 of Heads of State and Government, the EU has committed to halt and reverse biodiversity loss and ecosystem degradation by 2030.
The Commission also joined the intergovernmental High Ambition Coalition (HAC) for Nature and People, which actively supports an ambitious framework and includes the goal to conserve at least 30% of land and sea by 2030.
- 2022CBD COP 15 part two in Kunming, China
- 14 - 29 March 2022Resumed global biodiversity meetings in Geneva, Switzerland
- 11 - 15 October 2021CBD COP 15 part one
- September 2021IUCN World Conservation Congress
- January 2021Commission joined the intergovernmental High Ambition Coalition (HAC) for Nature and People
- September 2020Commission President, Ursula von der Leyen, signed the Leader’s Pledge for Nature
- May 2020Commission published the Biodiversity Strategy for 2030
- March 2020EU launched the Global Coalition “United for Biodiversity”
- Advocacy Toolkit for Nature in EU languages, and also in Arabic
- CBD Aggregator tool - demonstrating wide public support to step up action to protect biodiversity
- EU Biodiversity Strategy – video on the international dimension
- EU Biodiversity Strategy – video
- EU Biodiversity Strategy – brochure
- EU Biodiversity Strategy – factsheet
- Biodiversity stories
- Biodiversity projects
- Report - Promoting Nature-based Solutions in the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework IUCN (2020)
- Post2020 Biodiversity Framework - EU Support