The European Committee of the Regions (CoR) welcomed the European Commission's Communication on the EU Action Plan: 'Towards Zero Pollution for Air, Water and Soil', its focus on health and its cross-cutting approach. The CoR looks forward to the announced actions and proposals and calls for them to be coherent and consistent with each other and with other relevant Green Deal initiatives.
Some of the key aspects of this opinion include:
- The importance of enhancing support mechanisms, capacity building for local and regional authorities, knowledge sharing and innovation to meet the target values.
- The appliance of the polluter pays principle (PPP) as a key measure
- Pollution is a major problem that needs to be tackled through effective multilevel governance and a cross-border approach
- National governments need to be accountable for investments in green sectors that build resilience and create jobs that are fair and inclusive, and that work towards a sustainable society.
- The post-pandemic recovery should focus on "One Health", acknowledging the interconnectedness between human, environmental and animal health.
Please follow this link to access the full opinion.
- Publication date
- 27 January 2022
- Directorate-General for Environment