What is the EU Ecolabel?
When you are strolling down the aisles of your supermarket, plenty of products scream ‘Pick me, I’m green, I’m sustainable!’. But how can you be sure that these products are really the most environmentally friendly, high quality products that deserve a place in your shopping basket?
This is where the EU Ecolabel makes things simple by guiding your sustainable choices ...
How the EU Ecolabel works
- EU-wide certification of environmental excellence: The EU Ecolabel can be found across Europe on numerous goods and services – from the clothes you wear to the cleaning products under your kitchen sink, and even your travel accommodation. Start looking for the EU Ecolabel flower on your next shopping trip. You can find the products in your favourite shops as well as online!
- Ensuring impact: EU Ecolabel certified products comply with strict criteria that guarantee a high quality and a lower environmental impact when compared to similar products on the market.
By complying with these criteria, producers offer reliable environmentally friendly goods and services and empower consumers to make truly green choices. Certified products and services are verified by third party, independent bodies (called Competent Bodies).
- Renewable trust: The European Commission, together with experts and key stakeholders, periodically reviews and updates the EU Ecolabel certification criteria to ensure their robustness and trustworthiness. The process is transparent, and open to interested stakeholders.
- A whole-of-lifecycle approach and strict limits on chemicals: EU Ecolabel criteria ensure the reduction of the main environmental impacts of products through their entire lifecycle, from the extraction of raw materials to end-of-life disposal. Moreover, strict requirements on chemicals guarantee that EU Ecolabel products are better for the environment and better for you.
- High quality and socially responsible products: In addition to strict environmental criteria, EU Ecolabel products must also comply with stringent requirements that ensure that they are of very good quality and fit for use. Consumers buying eco-friendly products don’t lose on the quality!
Furthermore, social criteria apply to products with recognised social impacts, such as textiles, footwear, electronic displays and tourist accommodations. EU Ecolabel means no compromise on any level!
Find the EU Ecolabel flyers translated in all EU languages here.
Yes. With environmental claims on products being so common, it can be difficult to tell the difference between ‘greenwashing’ and reliable claims. EU Ecolabel products can be trusted because, from production to use and disposal, they have been assessed as products with reduce environmental impact. Scientifically sound criteria have been developed in a transparent way involving scientists, NGOs and stakeholders to enable consumers to make environmentally responsible choices. In addition, the EU Ecolabel can be awarded by independent third-party organisations only to the best 10- 20 % products on the market, in terms of environmental performance.
The EU Ecolabel logo is a reliable, third-party certified label covering all major environmental, health and social issues. Reliability is ensured through a transparent process for setting the EU Ecolabel criteria. EU Ecolabel products are easily recognisable through the display of the EU Ecolabel logo on each certified product. The EU Ecolabel thus helps consumers make informed choices and opt for environmentally friendly products, boosting the market for sustainable products in a circular economy.
Once its products received the approval for the EU Ecolabel, the producer can place the EU Ecolabel logo anywhere on the product and its packaging.
Market surveillance and control of the use of the EU Ecolabel is guaranteed by competent bodies through Article 10 of the Regulation (EC) No 66/2010 on the EU Ecolabel.
If you noticed an improper use of the EU Ecolabel, you can send us a notification.
What if I am aware of an EU Ecolabel product/service on the market that does not comply with the EU Ecolabel criteria?
If you are aware of a product/service on the market displaying the EU Ecolabel logo that does not comply with the EU Ecolabel criteria, please fill and send us a complaint form. Download the form and discover more in the Do you have a complaint? section.
Choosing the EU Ecolabel lifestyle
Choosing the EU Ecolabel lifestyle
You might have already come across the EU Ecolabel’s distinctive flower logo which can be found on thousands of everyday goods and services, including soaps and shampoos, detergents, clothes, paints and varnishes, paper products and furniture, as well as hotels and campsites and cleaning services.
Whether shopping online or in a shop, look out for the official EU Ecolabel logo!
The EU Ecolabel makes green choices easy!
Find out more about where you can find EU Ecolabel products on the Retailers page, or browse the EU Ecolabel product catalogue (ECAT) and tourist accommodation catalogue.
EU Ecolabel guides your sustainable choices!
Find out more about the EU Ecolabel
Articles and Success Stories
Find out more about the EU Ecolabel through our articles and success stories.
On March 23, 2022, the EU Ecolabel turned 30! In celebration, the Showroom on Wheels will be making a tour around Europe this summer and several member states will also be hosting their own festivities.